Home Contact Us en Español Intranet
Click to Home

Go To Search
Home
EmailPrintRSS
History of West Valley Water District

Our History

West Valley Water District currently provides drinking water to approximately 80,000 customers in portions of Rialto, Colton, Fontana, Bloomington, an unincorporated area of San Bernardino County, and Jurupa Valley in Riverside County.  Our mission is to continue providing reliable, safe drinking water for our customers now and into the future, at reasonable rates.

Our history began on February 28, 1952, when our forbearer, West San Bernardino County Water District, became the owner and operator of three local mutual water companies.  This friendly acquisition saved the communities' water rights and assets from condemnation.  It was in this acquisition that the District became the owner of water rights dating back to 1897. During those early years, the District supplied more water for agricultural purposes than for domestic use.  

50s (2).JPG 

During the 1970's and 1980's, the District grew and homes, businesses and schools soon surpassed agricultural water use.  There were other mergers where smaller water companies became a part of the water district.  By the end of the 1980's, the District water facilities included 180 miles of pipeline, 12 reservoirs and 15 water wells.  It was during this time that the District built its office and maintenance yard on Baseline Road in Rialto, where we are still located today.

70s-80s.jpg

In 1992, the District was a partner in building five miles of new pipeline to bring much needed water from the Bunker Hill Basin in San Bernardino to our area.  Continuing the trend of working with our neighbors, in 1993 the District partnered with the City of Rialto to build a treatment facility for the water flowing from Lytle Creek.  The Oliver P. Roemer Water Filtration Facility has been expanded twice and also accepts and treats State Project Water, which increases the amount of water available for our customers. 

90s (2).JPG

In 2003, the District changed its name to West Valley Water District.  By this time the District had 5 treatment plants, 360 miles of pipeline, 25 reservoirs, 17 wells, 20,000 service connections, and we served drinking water to approximately 66,000 residents.

 2000s.jpg

In 2015, the District Board votes in to rollback previously adopted rate increases and offer rebates to customers totaling $2.5 million district-wide.

2000s (2).png

The District focused on using innovative technology to treat perchlorate and nitrate, opening the first bioremediation facility in 2016.  WVWD is also under construction on a second treatment facility using a similar technology called a fixed bed reactor (FXB), also to remove perchlorate.  This second facility is expected to be completed in 2017.

Future (1).jpg
 

 


Home | Contact Us | en Español | Site Map | Agendas & Minutes | Accessibility | Copyright Notice | Powered by CivicPlus
West Valley Water District | 855 W. Base Line Road | P.O. Box 920 | Rialto, CA 92377 | Ph: (909) 875-1804 | Fx: (909) 875-1849